Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Creamy Hummus

  By now, you've probably seen the commercials for the Nintendo DSi with their newest cooking software, America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking.  Yes, I have a DSi.  Yes, I have the ATK software.  And yes, I have the previously released Personal Trainer: Cooking.  Y'all did see over on my profile, I am a gamer.  *grins* But back to the topic at hand, I have tried a couple of the recipes on the game, and they have indeedy come out well.  Today, I'll share the creamy hummus recipe.  It's a good basic hummus, super simple, and my best success making homemade hummus yet.  I've had three or four less than stellar attempts with other recipes - this one's a keeper.  I'll work up the gumption to do a review of the Nintendo game for Volunteer Vittles in the future.

Creamy Hummus
Yields about 2 cups

Ingredients 
1 (15.5 oz) can garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas, ceci, or cici beans)
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
3/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch (1/8 tsp) cayenne pepper


Equipment: food processor, garlic press

  Drain off your garbanzo beans and rinse them well.  Pour them into your food processor.

  Use the garlic press to finely mince the garlic.  It'll incorporate better into the final product.  Add it to the beans.

  Add everything else to the food processor.  Pulse it for 40 seconds, or everything is nice and smooth.

  Chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.

Notes: You can hand mince the garlic, but it may not incorporate as well as if you used a press.  The first time I made this, I used the press as per the game said. The batch I just whirled together, I just minced the garlic by hand because my press was in the dishwasher.  I could tell a slight difference when I was scraping the hummus out.

Don't skip the 30 minute meld - it makes a huge difference.  Gotta give the lemon and tahini time to work their mojo.  This hummus is even better the next day.

Tahini is sesame paste, and its becoming more and more available in grocery stores.  Pending on your local grocer, there's a couple of places to check to see if they carry it.  I've seen it in the ethnic section and also with the peanut butter.  It may seem a little pricey, but if you are as keen on hummus as I am - trust me, making it at home quickly becomes cheaper than adding those tubs to your cart. 

Now, y'all, don't get the idea everything I share is going to be pureed.  Just happens I wanted hummus and veggies for my lunch this week, and I'm trying to post pics with my recipes, if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment