Sunday, April 25, 2010

Jackpot and Minor Irritations

Friday night, after helping set up for a dance at work, I came home tired but happy. There was that smiling box Amazon ships out, sitting on the end of the couch I usually come home and collapse on. My baby had arrived! Yep, my Kodak M341 in the orchid color...it's much smaller than my old cam, and a shade more compact than an Ipod Touch. I've been playing around a bit this weekend trying out the different settings, attempting to get the basics down before Wednesday's trip to Biltmore. And of course, that meant a late night run to Walmart for accessories. Screen covers, camera case- purple to compliment the orchid, memory card, and a tripod. This girl's joining the big leagues - a tripod!

I like having a tripod; I tend to have shaky hands. The one I got was the Gorillapod by Joby. You can bend and wrap the legs around objects. I like that the piece attaches to the camera has a bubble level on it. Experiments were good today, and I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some nice pics with this set-up.

But now for the fly in the ointment - ever work on a project or cooking up a recipe that you've bought all the exact ingredients or supplies on the list, and the list is not exactly correct? I've been working on a beautiful bracelet that I'm nearing the end of. I knew the amounts of seed beads called for were off just reading the pattern, but bought plenty in anticipation. But the type of elastic the components are strung on was too thick - it called for threading a needle with 1 mm stretch cord, which I had ordered with all the supplies needed. That cord wasn't going through the crystals without a needle, much less with one. I even cut the tip at an angle, still wouldn't thread. I find this out last night after our craft store closed - and it's closed on Sundays. Aarrrggghhh. I just hope they have a thinner cord on the shelf when I go tomorrow. Guess I'll chuck the other spool of elastic in my crafting stash and hope I get around to using it someday.

Moving on from frustrations, I hope to have lots to share this upcoming week. I'm taking the last half of the week off for day trips and puttering around the house. I hope to snag a cookbook while over in Asheville. (I like to pick up local cookbooks when I go places.) Plus, my mom and I are continuing our tradition of going to the Taste of Home Cooking Schools when they are in the area on Thursday; this will be our fourth year going. We always have a ton of fun together at the shows. So stayed tuned for more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment