Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sloppy Joes

  Our school fundraiser cookbooks have arrived safely and gone on sale.  Beautifully printed, and they are jammed pack with all kinds of goodies.  Today, I'd like to share one of my submissions for the cookbook - Sloppy Joes!  Sloppy joes are filling, and tasty way to sneak in a few veggies.  I wish I could tell you where I found this recipe, but my memory fails - but it is a hearty, tasty and kid-friendly meal.  If you like a sloppier (saucier) joe, feel free to increase the sauce ingredients.

Sloppy Joes
6 servings

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I use light)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
6 hamburger buns
Optional - slices of cheese
Optional - salt and pepper, to taste

  Add the green pepper, onions, and ground beef to a skillet.  Brown the meat over medium heat, and drain off the liquids.

  Return the skillet to the stove, and turn the heat to low.  Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, brown sugar, ketchup, and barbecue sauce, and mix thoroughly.  Let it simmer on the low heat for 30 minutes.  Add salt and pepper, to taste if you want.  Scoop up the sloppy joe mix onto hamburger buns and add a slice of cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment